Our A-Z guide to popular types of lingerie.
- Babydoll, a short nightgown, or negligee, intended as nightwear for women. A shorter style, it is often worn with panties. Babydolls are typically loose-fitting with an empire waist and thin straps.
- Basque, a tight, form-fitting bodice or coat.
- Body, a one-piece fitted garent that covers the torso and the crotch
- Bodystocking, a unitard. Bodystockings may be worn over the torso, or they may be worn over the thighs and abdomen.
- Brassiere, more commonly referred to as a bra, a close-fitting garment that is worn to help lift and support a woman’s breasts
- Bra Set, a combination of matching bra and brief or thong
- Bustier, a form fitting garment used to push up the bust and to shape the waist.
- Camisole, sleeveless and covering the top part of the body. Camisoles are typically constructed of light materials and feature thin "spaghetti straps".
- Chemise, a one-piece undergarment that is the same in shape as a straight-hanging sleeveless dress. It is similar to the babydoll, but it is fitted more closely around the hips.
- Corset, a bodice worn to mould and shape the torso. This effect is typically achieved through boning, either of bone or steel.
- G-string, or thong, a type of panty, characterised by a narrow piece of cloth that passes between the buttocks and is attached to a band around the hips. A G-string or thong may be worn as a bikini bottom or as underwear by both men and women.
- Garter/Garter belt/Suspender belt (British), used to keep stockings up.
- Hold ups, a leg covering held up at the upper thigh with elasticated and slicone strips
- Hosiery, close-fitting, elastic garments that cover the feet and legs.
- Negligee, a dressing gown. It is usually floor length, though it can be knee length as well.
- Nightgown, or nightie, a loosely hanging item of nightwear, may vary from hip-length (babydoll) to floor-length (peignoir).
- Nightshirt, a shirt meant to be worn while sleeping. It is usually longer and looser than the average T-shirt, and it is typically made of softer material.
- Panties or knickers, a generic term for underwear covering the genitals and sometimes buttocks that come in all shapes, fabrics and colours, offering varying degrees of coverage.
- Stockings, a leg covering usually held up by a suspener belt
- Teddy, an undergarment that resembles the shape of a one-piece bathing suit because it is typically sleeveless, and sometimes even strapless.
- Tights, a leg covering that srrats at the waist